Sunday, January 27, 2008

CONFESSIONS OF A LEFTOVER CELERY STALK - & FREE RECIPE!

It's Sunday, and I've been lying here in this crisper drawer for almost two weeks. I know my days are numbered. The person who bought me had intentions of using a few of my brothers and sisters for soups, stews, and various stir-frys. She also, I overheard, was going to whip up some ranch dressing and cut me up into bite size pieces so her children could nosh and obtain a few nutrients.

I'm not sure what happened, but the dip was never made, I haven't seen the light of a kitchen since. It's dark, cold, and lonely in here - I had some big dreams, and time is running out. When I was only a seed, I would dream about vast, exotic places like gourmet Asian stir-frys, and warm, comforting places like some one's Grandmother's tuna noodle casserole. But here I stay, beginning to see signs of shriveling - with not a shiny knife in sight.

My worst nightmare impending.... a clammy hand, scooping me irritatingly upward and then being tossed, plunging, downward, to suffocate in a smelly, day-old-coffee-ground, crowded, paper towel and styrofoam hell.

OH! but alas, the light of the door opening... and the sound of a happy cook's enthusiastic inspiration:

"Hey, I forgot I had this celery. I'd better make a soup or something before it goes bad! I've got a great recipe that will be just the ticket".

I'm so excited, I can hardly keep from jumping out of the drawer myself. But I await eagerly for the gentle hands as they lift me to my destiny....

CELERY'S DESTINATION SOUP

  • 1 medium leek, bottom half only (root trimmed off and top greens discarded)
  • 1 small baking potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice
  • 3 medium chopped shallots
  • 2 TB. butter
  • 1 TB olive oil
  • 1 full bunch of celery, including leaves - bottoms trimmed & chopped into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Cut leek in half lengthwise and rinse well in cold water. Drain, and slice halves crosswise into thin slices. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook shallots in butter and oil until softened, about 2 minutes. Add leek and continue cooking, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add celery and potato and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes. Add wine and broth; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until celery and potato are very tender, about 50 minutes.


Puree soup in batches in the food processor, or use an immersion blender until soup is smooth. Return to pan and bring to a simmer over moderately low heat. Turn off heat; season with salt and pepper and serve. Garnish with snipped chives, if desired.

For More Free Recipes, Family Activity Ideas and Help for Tired Mommies,- VISIT the ONE STOP MOMMY SHOP, an EASY WAY to get a GRIP ON YOUR DAY!



No comments: